*For Immediate Release*
Albany International Airport Prepares for Storm Predicted to Bring Heavy Rain, High Winds & Snow to Capital Region
Travelers Urged to Plan Ahead, Be Prepared, Check with Airlines for Cancellations or Delays
ALBANY, NY (December 10, 2023) – The Albany International Airport (ALB) today announced preparations for a storm system expected to bring heavy rain, high winds, and a heavy, wet snow to the Capital Region Sunday night through Monday morning.
Airport officials are implementing inclement winter weather plans to ensure that runways, taxiways, roadways, and other areas are clear and safe for travelers and personnel. Officials continue to monitor the storm and communicate with airlines and other essential personnel about operations and potential storm impacts.
“The safety of passengers, personnel and visitors at ALB is – as always - our top priority,” said Steven Smith, Director of Communications at Albany International Airport. “Our dedicated team will do everything possible to enable travelers can get to their final destinations with minimal disruption. Nevertheless, if you’re traveling from ALB Monday morning, build in extra time to get to the airport and check with airlines for cancellations or delays before you depart.”
Travelers should download their airline’s mobile app or check with customer service centers on how to best receive alerts or notifications about weather-related cancellations or delays. A list of customer service phone numbers is listed below:
· Allegiant Air: 1-702-505-8888
· American Airlines: 1-800-433-7300
· Delta Airlines: 1-800-221-1212
· Southwest Airlines: 1-800-435-9792
· United Airlines: 1-800-864-8331
Travelers and visitors at ALB are also reminded that the airport is undergoing a terminal expansion project and construction activities - including the recent closure of the pedestrian bridge to and from the North Parking Garage – are underway. For more information, visit www.albanyairport.com/construction.
General travel tips:
· All travelers are urged to arrive at the airport no less than TWO HOURS prior to their flight’s scheduled departure. Doing so will allow ample time to park, check bags (if necessary), go through the security checkpoint, and arrive at the departure gate.
· Consider using alternate transportation to and from the airport. This will alleviate you having to find parking while also saving you time.
· Check- in early either online or by using your airline’s mobile app. Doing so will save you time when you arrive at the airport, especially if you don’t need to check baggage.
· Have readily available all documentation - identification, boarding pass, and any other pertinent documents you may need.
· Before packing, visit www.tsa.gov to find out which items are prohibited in either carry-on or checked luggage – including children’s luggage items. Check on prohibited amounts of liquids, gels, creams, pastes or aerosols.
· Consider TSA PreCheck to speed up and enhance your experience going through the security checkpoint. Learn more at www.tsa.gov.
· Make sure you know your gate number, which should be on your boarding pass. You can also ask airline personnel, airport staff or check out an arrival/departure monitor inside the terminal.
· Access to the pedestrian bridge from the parking north parking garage is CLOSED. Passengers using the garage will need to utilize the crosswalk near car rental to access both the terminal and garage. Signage has been placed throughout to help guide you to the appropriate stairwell and elevator.
· Lanes in front of the terminal are reduced. Curbside parking in front of the terminal is NEVER permitted. This area in front of the terminal is for pick-up and drop off only. Those picking up or dropping off passengers are asked to do so quickly as to not cause traffic delays.
· For passenger pick-ups, consider using the short-term parking lot until your passenger arrives curbside.
· Those picking up passengers are asked to utilize the cell phone/observation lot on Albany Shaker Road. Drivers may wait in that lot until their passenger is curbside and be quickly picked up in front of the terminal.